Rev. Dr. Harry Pappas
His Eminence Archbishop
Demetrios has appointed Rev. Dr. Harry Pappas to server as
our Parish priest, effective June 28, 2009.
Fr. Harry Pappas bases his teaching of homiletics and
pastoral theology on his seminary training at Holy Cross,
graduate work in biblical studies at Harvard and Yale, and
more than twenty years of pastoral experience. He has served
as deacon in New Haven, Connecticut, interim pastor in
Kingston, New York, and pastor in Enfield, Connecticut;
Nashville, Tennessee; and - most recently - Minneapolis,
Minnesota. His particular interests in parish work include
Bible study, preaching, worship, contemplative prayer,
pan-Orthodox cooperation, and ministry development,
especially social outreach and missions, with multiple trips
to Project Mexico/ St. Innocent Orphanage in Mexico, and the
Hogar Rafael Orphanage in Guatemala. He has taught at Yale
Divinity School, Holy Cross, and the Resurrection of Christ
Seminary in Albania. Fr. Harry also assists in directing the
field education program for students at St. Vladimir's, and
worked as a part time associate at Holy
Trinity Greek Orthodox Church in New Rochelle until June 21,
He is married to Kerry (nee Kaloudis) who, despite her own
theological education at Holy Cross and training as a
Marriage & Family Therapist, helps keep at least one of his
feet on the ground, especially in caring for their three
children: Rebecca, married in 2006 to Joe Samra, program
director of the Orthodox Christian Fellowship; Joshua, a
religion major at Davidson College in North Carolina; and
Hannah, who attends Maria Regina high school in Hartsdale.
His interests include physical fitness, reading literature,
and watching sports and movies. In 2000 he learned how to
ride a motorcycle, much to the Kerry's chagrin, but he has
tried his best to reassure her that this "mid-life crisis"
is much more affordable than a foreign sports car.
- Yale University (New Haven, CT) - M.A. (1983); M.
Phil. (1985 cum laude); Ph. D. (2000) in Old Testament
- Harvard Divinity School (Cambridge, MA) - Th. M. in
Old Testament (1981 cum laude)
- Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology
(Brookline, MA) - M.Div. (1980 cum laude)
- Davidson College (Davidson, NC) - B.A. in Religion
- "Theodore of Mopsuestia's Commentary on Psalm 44 (LXX):
A study of Exegesis and Christology," in Sacred Text and
Interpretation: Perspectives in Orthodox Biblical
Studies, ed. by Theodore Stylianopoulos (Brookline, MA:
Holy Cross Orthodox Press, 2006), pp. 55-79.
- "Salvation in Christ: Perspectives of the Orthodox
Church," in Savlation in Christ: Comparative Christian
Views, edited by Roger R. Keller and Robert L. Millet
(Provo, UT: Brigham Young University, 2005), pp.
- Theodore of Mopsuestia's Commentary on Psalm 45: A
Study of Exegesis and Christology (unpublished
- "Deception as Patriarchal Self-Defense in a Foreign
Land: A Form Critical Study of the Wife-Sister Stories
in Genesis," in the Greek Orthodox Theology Review,
Volume 29, Number 1, pp. 35-50.
- "The ‘Exhortation to Fearless Confession' - Matthew
10:26-33," in the Greek Orthodox Theological Review,
Volume 25, Number 3, pp. 239-248.
Professional Developments & Activities
- Delivered paper on "Introduction to the Babylonian
Exile" to Minnesota Chapter of OCABS in Minneapolis
- Led GO Metropolis of Chicago Clergy Retreat (March,
2005). Theme: "Reflections on the Sacrament of Holy
Unction and the Biblical Readings, based upon Fr.
Stanley Harakas' book, Of Life and Salvation."
- Addressed graduate theological colloquium on
"Current Issues in the Orthodox Church" at St. John's
University (Feb., 2005).
- Mission trip to Project Mexico (August, 2004).
- Bible Study on Luke 15:11-32 for the Council for
World Missions and Evangelism Conference Called in
Christ to be Reconciling & Healing Communities for World
Council of Churches (summer, 2004).
- Prison Ministry to Maximum Security Prisons -- Oak
Park Heights and Stillwater, MN (2000-2005).
- Participated in Focused Retreat on "Ecumenical
Formation" at the Institute for Ecumenical and Cultural
Research at St. John's University in Collegeville, MN
- Taught Old Testament courses on Genesis, the
Prophets, and Hosea at Resurrection of Christ Orthodox
Seminary in Durres, Albania (November, 2003).
- Led Bible Studies in Albania on Psalm 50 and Romans
- Spoke on Social Justice and Scripture to College
Student Fellowship at University of Tirana, and to
Women's Auxiliary at the Resurrection Orthodox Cathedral
in Tirana, Albania (Nov., 2003).
- Led College Student Retreat at Resurrection of
Christ Seminary in Tirana, Albania (Nov. 2003). Theme:
"Abraham, Moses, and David as men of God."
- Presented paper, "Theodore of Mopsuestia's
Commentary on Psalm 45," at Orthodox Biblical Scholar's
Conference at Holy Cross in Brookline, MA (Oct. 2003).
- Represented GOA at National Episcopal Convention in
Minneapolis, MN (Aug., 2003).
- Member, Board of Directors for Project Mexico/St.
Innocent Orphanage in Rosarito, Mexico (2002 - present).
- Advanced training as counselor in Prepare/Enrich
Marital Counseling program (2002).
- Trained in "Centering Prayer" at St. Peter Roman
Catholic church in St. Paul (fall, 2001).
- Spiritual Direction through Loyola House in St. Paul
- Underwent 6 months professional analysis through
Executive Counseling program (March - September of
- Attended Upper Midwest Society of Biblical
Literature annual meeting at Luther Seminary in St.
Paul, MN (1996, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004).
- Presented paper, "The Role of Women in the Orthodox
Church," at St. Mary's OCA Cathedral (December, 2003).
- Member of Greek Orthodox Archdiocesan Advisory
Committee on Science and Technology (2002 - present).
- Guest lectured on "Elements of Anthropology in the
Orthodox Tradition" in graduate theological seminar
"Christian Anthropology" at St. John's University in
Collegeville, MN (Dr. William Cahoy) (spring of 2001 and
- Attended Parish Millenial Conference at Holy Cross
School of Theology (Sept. 2000).
- Mission trip to Hogar Rafael Orphanage in Guatemala
City, Guatemala (Jan. 1999).
- President, Minnesota Eastern Orthodox Clergy
- Attended Orthodox Christian Association of Medicine,
Psychology and Religion annual meeting (1999).
- Co-led pilgrimage to Holy Land (summer, 1998).
- Delivered paper, "The Messianic prophecies of Christ
in the Old Testament," at pan-Orthodox Conference of
- Delivered paper on "Covenant: Continuity &
Discontinuity Between Jews & Christians," at
Jewish-Christian Clergy Retreat of Chicago area (Nov.,
- Mission trip to Project Mexico (August, 1997).
- Response to Paper of Richard J. Beauchesne, "Yves
Cardinal Congar and Christian Worship (Life, Liturgy and
Eucharist): Ecumenical Perspectives" at Catholic
Theological Society of America meeting (June, 1997).
- Trained as marriage counselor in Prepare/Enrich
Marital and Pre-Marital Inventory of Life Innovations,
- Member, Board of Trustees of Greater Minneapolis
Council of Churches (1995 - present)
- Represented GOA @ National Conference of the
American Bible Society in Nashville, TN (1994).
- Represented GOA @ Ecumenical Workshop on Disaster
Relief in Nashville, TN (1993).
- Represented GOA @ Ecumenical Conference on Gambling
in Nashville, TN (1992).
- Supervised Graduate Student Prison Ministry of Holy
- Led adult retreats
- on the Old Testament at St. Barbara Greek
Orthodox Church in New Haven, CT (1985)
- on Prayer at the Greek Orthodox Church in San
Antonio, TX (1986)
- on the Old Testament at St. Nicholas Greek
Orthodox Church in St. Louis, MO (1988)
- on Creation at SS. Peter and Paul Greek Orthodox
Church in Glenview, IL (1989)
- on Great Lent at Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox
Church in Salt Lake City, UT (2002)
- Represented GOA @ Conference "The Old Testament in
the Orthodox Church," Patriarchal Institute in Chambesy,
Switzerland (May 1986).
- Attended Syndesmos Ecumenical Conference in Syria
and Lebanon (Feb., 1980).
- Attended Syndesmos Conference in Paris, France
- Summer pilgrimage to and residence at Monastery of
Simonos Petras, Mt. Athos (1979).
- Participant in Orthodox Inter-Seminary Movement
- Associate Professor of Pastoral Theology at St.
Vladimir’s Seminary (2006-)
- Part time Instructor in OT @ Holy Cross (1987-1989)
- Introduction to the OT Prophets
- The Book of Isaiah
- Wisdom Literature
- Introduction to Biblical Hebrew
- Part time Instructor @ Yale (1985-1986)
- Introduction to Biblical Hebrew
- Teaching Assistant @ Yale (1984-1985)
- Diaconate: December 4, 1982 @ St. Barbara GO Church
(New Haven, CT)
- Priesthood: May 11, 1986 @ St. Barbara GO Church
(New Haven, CT)
- Confessor: Feb. 1987 @ St. Nicholas GO Church
- Economos: May, 1992 @ Holy Trinity GO Church
- Pastor @ St. Mary’s Greek Orthodox Church
(Minneapolis, MN) June 1995 to July, 2006
- Pastor @ Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church
(Nashville, TN) March 1990 to May 1995
- Director of Admissions @ Hellenic College/Holy Cross
(Brookline, MA) Jan. 1988 – Feb. 1990
- Pastor @ St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church
(Enfield, CT) Jan. 1987 – Dec. 1987
- Interim Pastor @ St. George Greek Orthodox Church
(Kingston, NY) Sept. 1986 – Jan. 1987
- Deacon @ St. Barbara Greek Orthodox Church (New
Haven, CT) Dec. 1982 – May 1986
Parish Ministry Development
- Developed and coordinated small group ministry, “Koinonia,”
throughout metro Twin Cities area (fall, 2005).
- Supervised professional ministry staff of eight in
Minneapolis, MN (1995-present).
- Organized, with Paul Hadjistylianos (Holy Cross,
’78), Prison Ministry Development Program for Minnesota
Eastern Orthodox Churches (2004-2005).
- Developed “Centering Prayer” as contemplative prayer
ministry at St. Mary’s in Minneapolis (2003).
- Coordinated ministry to house homeless families at
St. Mary’s in Minneapolis, “Families Moving Forward”
- Development Parish Mission Statement and 5-point
tasks for St. Mary’s in Minneapolis, MN (2002).
- Developed new 3-year adult/older teen Catechism
program “Sojourners” (2000-2003).
- Developed overnight, off-site Leadership Retreats
for Parish Councils (2003).
- Introduced the work of the Orthodox Peace Fellowship
to St. Mary’s in Minneapolis, MN (1998).
- Co-led re-integration of GOA and OCA Summer Camp
programs to become one unified pan-Orthodox Summer Camp
program (June, 1997).
- Coordinated $3.5 million Capital Campaign and Major
Renovation and Expansion of Facilities and Ministries at
St. Mary’s in Minneapolis, MN (1997-2000).
- Developed pre-Baptismal and pre-Marital classes at
St. Mary’s in Minneapolis (1996).
- Developed “Men’s Fellowship Group” at St. Mary’s in
- Developed “Family Night” Ministry at St. Mary’s in
- Developed “Mission and Outreach Committee” (1996).
- Developed Long-Term Planning for St. Mary’s in
- Co-led $1.5 million Capital Campaign and
Construction of new Temple for Nasvhille, TN